Subject Topic: Mini Bow 5 Questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KyRodeo
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 19 Dec 2006 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote KyRodeo

First and foremost. I love this site. So much information and help. Thanks for taking the time to set it up. I know it's mainly about 7 Gal minibows but I recently received a 5 gal Corner bow w/ in hood 3 stage filtration (polyfiber, carbon, bio-wheel) and an inhood incondescent light fixture for my birthday. I've been thinking about setting up a nano reef with it. From what i've gathered from this sight and various on-line stores, I wanted to do a live sand/live rock combo, with a 10w 50/50 compact flourescent bulb from coralife for light, with various coral and maybe one fish (probably a clown) and a cleaner shrimp. my main quesiton is, would that be enough light to sustain life in there? also, would it be alright to keep the 3 stage filtration going with the LR and LS or would it be better to gut the filter and just use it to move water? Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Back to Top View KyRodeo's Profile Search for other posts by KyRodeo Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

KyRodeo
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 19 Dec 2006 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote KyRodeo

sorry for double posting. My tank is a Eclipse Corner 5. think I left that out...
Back to Top View KyRodeo's Profile Search for other posts by KyRodeo Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 19 Dec 2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

I would leave the filtration in. The biowheel is a great filter. If your nitrates get high then maybe remove the biowheel. Leave the poly filter for sure. I would go with two 10 watt tubes for a total of 20 watts. That should be enough to keep most stuff. Keep in mind that you are going to have a constant battle with evaporation and I think that keeping salinity constant will be a bigger problem than lighting. I have seen it done, but it is not easy. Start slow and keep us updated. I would add the sand (plain, not live) and a few pieces of live rock. The rock will seed the sand and you should have a good start soon. I would wait at least 30-45 days just to see if you can even keep it stable. If you are really interested, you won't lose interest during this waiting period. This is also a good gauge of how attentative you will be to the needs of the tank.

I would love to see you do it though! Take some pics and post them through the stages of the project. We like giving our two cents, but we LOVE pics or your setups!
Back to Top View kyroguy's Profile Search for other posts by kyroguy Visit kyroguy's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

dbsoundcheck
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 19 Dec 2006 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote dbsoundcheck

Yeah, I agree with the 20 watt idea. That's what I've got in my 5 gallon minibow. I have to fill her up every 2 days. Good luck, it'll be worth it.
Back to Top View dbsoundcheck's Profile Search for other posts by dbsoundcheck Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

KyRodeo
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 20 Dec 2006 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote KyRodeo

great advice. Thank you very much. Also it says on my light cover not to put an incondescent bulb higher than 15 watts and a flourescent bulb higher than 11 watts. Is that for electric load bearing or heat issues? because if it's just heat i can retro fit a small fan to go on the hood. also Will evaporation be a big problem even with the full hood? I've taken some pictures of it already with the freshwater set-up. I hope to go sea side (ha ha) over the holiday weekend or as soon as I figure out the light scheme. I'll take many pics!! 

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 20 Dec 2006 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

The retrofits should have ballasts with them so the electric load should not be a problem. Then heat will be your only issue. Fairly easy to take care of with a fan.

As far as evaporation, it shouldn't be bad with a full hood. But depending on how you set up that cooling fan, you might be battling it! I would much rather have a cool tank that had to be topped off daily than a hot tank that only needed topping weekly. Keep us updated!
Back to Top View kyroguy's Profile Search for other posts by kyroguy Visit kyroguy's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

KyRodeo
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote KyRodeo

Tore down the freshwater set-up yesterday. Still gathering all the right stuff. I picked up a Smartpaq 1x32w retrofit kit yesterday. Having a little difficulty fixating in my hood as it is not meant for my system. I'm also going with the power sweep micro power head to keep a moving current. Question, is anyone using a venturi valve to airate? Thanks guys. pics coming as soon as I start setting up and as soon as I figure out how to post them! I'm getting very excited!

the_anti_honda
Minibow Gang Mod
Minibow Gang Mod
Pimp

Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote the_anti_honda

I would not use the venturi unless you want to experiment with it after lights out to keep the ph from dropping. I would be afraid that the smaller bubbles coming from it might cause harm or look unsightly during viewing hours.

Back to Top View the_anti_honda's Profile Search for other posts by the_anti_honda Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

interesting thought, never thought about the effect on the pH.

KyRodeo
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote KyRodeo

Check it to wreck it, here she is.

Gutted hood

Hood with reflector

...and light and ballast

and presto! whoa that's bright

and now a whole shot just after the cycle...

and close up of rock work,

That's about it for now. I have a CUC. not a very good one though. going back for a nasi snail, emerald crab and a scarlett hermit. and a cleaner shrimp. do they eat parasites?

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

And on the 8th day, KY said, "LET THERE BE LIGHT!" And there was, and he was happy. Then he determined that he needed more hermits to keep up with the algae!

How many watts per gallon you got on that thing?

KyRodeo
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote KyRodeo

6.4 if you go by tank size just under 10 if you go by volume. It's a 32w Smartpaq. Sorry the pics are so big. I'll try to downsize next time

dbsoundcheck
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote dbsoundcheck

Nah it's cool. It's like I'm actually in the tank! By the way, nice work!
Back to Top View dbsoundcheck's Profile Search for other posts by dbsoundcheck Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Can't wait to see how awesome this thing is in a year!

nano7joy
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote nano7joy

Nice top rock looks like good shelves for frags and such
Back to Top View nano7joy's Profile Search for other posts by nano7joy Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

KyRodeo
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote KyRodeo

Thank you thank you. Now, about those parasites. They're all over the glass, crawlin around. I'd take a picture but they're microscopic. I'd say there is at least 500 of them now, I'm starting to get worried.

nano7joy
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote nano7joy

Thos are probably ceopods and amphpods both are good many people have fuges setup just to grow them for food for there fish and corals
Back to Top View nano7joy's Profile Search for other posts by nano7joy Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

KyRodeo
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote KyRodeo

I'll have to start designing a fuge for this thing then . I'll post more pics when i get more stuff. Thank you guys for all your help!

Kwis
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Kwis

Great start Ky.  Pods are a good thing!!  Thanks for posting pics, it helps everyone out big time!
Back to Top View Kwis's Profile Search for other posts by Kwis Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Don't worry about the pods. After you get fish, they will get eaten. At least enough of them will get eaten that they wont be overrunning the tank!

ski's_reef
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Pimp Posse

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote ski's_reef

I have an idea for a small fuge for that tank!!!  If Im not mistken that above tank filter has several compartments in it.  If you took the media out of one of the compartments, mounted 3-4 leds above it, added some chaeto, and put it on a reverse cycle from the tank lights.  The chaeto would remove some excess nutrients and provide a place for pods to live and breathe.  If Im not mistaken chaeto grows free floating so it wouldnt mind the current.  Also the reverse cycle would help with the nightime ph dilemma.  Just an idea.

Ski

I know something you dont know! LOL!
Back to Top View ski's_reef's Profile Search for other posts by ski's_reef Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

nano7joy
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 3:26am | IP Logged Quote nano7joy

what tank ...j/k what filter really and what compartments the best kinda filter i know is a aquaclear for fuges and if ya gotta better idea speak up please speak up

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 4:08am | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Ski is thinking of an eclpise tank.

nano7joy
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 4:14am | IP Logged Quote nano7joy

ah Ok ....rotflmao its late or is it early?

KyRodeo
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote KyRodeo

ski's_reef wrote:

I have an idea for a small fuge for that tank!!!  If Im not mistken that above tank filter has several compartments in it.  If you took the media out of one of the compartments, mounted 3-4 leds above it, added some chaeto, and put it on a reverse cycle from the tank lights.  The chaeto would remove some excess nutrients and provide a place for pods to live and breathe.  If Im not mistaken chaeto grows free floating so it wouldnt mind the current.  Also the reverse cycle would help with the nightime ph dilemma.  Just an idea.

Ski

That's a good idea! I think I will do that! Thank's Ski. 

ski's_reef
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Pimp Posse

Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote ski's_reef

I thought it was one of those eclipse tanks.  I always wanted to try that idea but dont have an eclipse.  Let me know how it goes.

Ski

Back to Top View ski's_reef's Profile Search for other posts by ski's_reef Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

ski's_reef
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Pimp Posse

Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote ski's_reef

Any new additions to your tank?

Ski

KyRodeo
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote KyRodeo

Yes, Yes. I added a Cleaner Shrimp and an emerald crab. both are flourishing. I'll post pics when I get home tonight. I would like to add something else this week. Any suggestions?

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

maybe a sea monster (baby one)?

ski's_reef
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Pimp Posse

Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote ski's_reef

Kyro, do you know where I can get one of those?  The closest I can find is stomatopods!!

Ski

Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version