Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

Good evening!

My name is Rich and I'm a professional Gamer , SW addict and i am new to these forums! I recently stumbled upon these forums and I had no idea that MB7's had such hype.

How it started.

I walk into the LFS my buddy owned and he showed me a Mini version my tank. All i could say was "Man that is one bad ass looking 10 gallon." He immediately corrected me and told me a it was a 7. I was only there to give him some macro and pick up a new light fixture, but then i got stuck staring at the tank for a good 20 mins. I go out for a smoke and come back in and he says - "so whatcha gonna put in that 7 Rich? , Merry Christmas!!

I guess he noticed how I admired his reef display but always knew that I could not have any inverts due to the inhabitants of my FOWRL tank. Blam thats how it is!

Ive been in the hobby for a little over a year and I am very excited to start my mini bow !!

Here are the specs:

LIGHTING
- 20' housing for 40w PC built in mini fan on both sides

FILTER
- 3-4 lbs of seeded substrate from 1 yr old established FOWLR
- 20 LBS Sugar Fine Sand
- 13.7 LBs Premium Timora Live Rock with a good amount of critters. {I heart LR}
- CPR HOB Fuge :
- 190 GPH (PH intake) set to Mid-flow to avoid sandstorms
- 2 1/2' Kent Marine Bio sediment (took about 1hour of churning to clear all debris)
- 150 w Heater Monitored at 77 Degrees
- Added Chamber for Fiber Floss (will probably remove it after cycle is complete)
- 2LB rubble LR (1st chamber)
- 14W Jolli light fixture with legs

Flow

- 2 Hydor Korlia ( probably my favorite[ and only] devices in the display)

Livestock -

Louie the Blue leg Hermit Crab -

-Recently removed (Dec 19th and put back into my 46 FOWLR because I didn't want him to have to go through a cycle.)

So that is my current setup !

I will do my best to update this post with any of the following:

- Added Livestock
- Tank modifications
- All good or bad news ( I don't think lying about a PERFECT tank is any good for me or my little buddies. )
And it will be a good way for me to learn more and converse with everyone here.

Well that was a lot to take in at one time~

For This week i plan to do the following:

I purchased 2 12V CPU fans and Im planning to make a "C" shaped holding container to blow at the surface of the show area. I think that if i just do a neat job it'll be beneficial and look pretty cool as well. This way i wont have to block out any of my lighting. The only drawback would be the lighting leakage that I have now from my fuge light will be completely depleted, but my new moonlight will compensate from that.

I will end my 1st post with a question i will be called noob for ....

How can i post my pics?

thanks!

td7gal.
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote td7gal.

You will have to use this button Image Upload    you can find this in minibow discussion,mambers tanks etc.I dont know why its not available in this one,Anyway welcome,and feel free to ask any questions
Back to Top View td7gal.'s Profile Search for other posts by td7gal. Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

Sunday 21st -

Tank Still cycling.
Im FINALLY done and decided with my Aquascaping.

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Sounds like a pretty solid setup. I can't wait to see it in action. We all love to see pics! Welcome to the forums. These are not the most visited forums on the net but when it comes to MB7's I can say with confidence that you won't find a group of people who know more about them. I think we have just about seen it all.

BTW, how did video games give you money? Please explain your sig.

The Ultimate Minibow Update Experiment!
Back to Top View kyroguy's Profile Search for other posts by kyroguy Visit kyroguy's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 4:20am | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

Merry Xmas!

Kyro - Ive been playing video games professionally since the 90's and Ive been blessed with the ability to win a few tournaments here n there.

12/25/08 -

Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - .10
Ammonia - 0
Ph - steady at 8.3

Added some Chaeto in the Fuge 2night!

I never knew i could be happy about adding Macro to a tank until tonight.

The tank seems to be cycling really well since last week when i turned up the temp to 80, and started to increase on my lighting hours. I had no idea that the pods would multiply so quickly. Since nitrates are goin down to almost nothing im gonna drop the temp back down. Then do my big water change.

What would you suggest for the % in water change once my nitrates are 0'd out??????

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Playing video games professionally? Where the heck was my guidance counselor on that one? Here I am stuck with a real job.

Anyway, I wouldn't do more than a 50% change. I usually lean toward 30-40% on consecutive days rather than 50% all at once though. I feel that a 10% change daily wouldn't even hurt the tank. Obviously this is a little excessive but just throwing it out there for an example. I have about 18 total gallons in my MB7 system and I do a 5 gallon change every week and a half. I have two 5 gallon jugs, one for topoff and one for water change. When the topoff is empty I do a 5 gallon change then get them both refilled. This is usually about every week and a half.   

Back to Top View kyroguy's Profile Search for other posts by kyroguy Visit kyroguy's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

kyro ur wc method is great ! 18 gallons!!! (cheater! J/K) immA get my water 2day! I know I gotta get more salt too

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Playing by the rules (and within budget) is no fun. While you are getting more salt post some friggin' pics!

And you have to start a thread in off topic about how you got to be a pro video game player. I am praying for a career change. You are probably the guy that owns me online all the time.

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

Update *

Pictures!!

http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/ww151/filthierich/?action=view¤t=IMG_1250.jpg

Mini Bow 7

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Arggg! Is it me or are the pics not showing up? I am dying to see them.

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

kyro the page limits me to 50k sized images. and the link attached doesnt come up as a click able link.

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

I can host them on my site if you are interested. I have virtually unlimited bandwidth! I will pm you my email addy and if you want just email them to me.

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 27 Dec 2008 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Here are the pics from filthyrich!

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 27 Dec 2008 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Rich,
I am loving the rock! What type of rock is that? I am seeing tons of potential for placement of corals and such in there! How is that fine sand working for you? I had sand like that in a tank one time and I won't do it again. I was changing the filter pad almost daily as it was clogged with sugar fine sand. I will be interested to see how it turns out for you.

Looks like you already have a few frags in there. How are they doing? Once things stabilize I would be happy to send you some frags if you are interested. TD and I have had success trading frags through the mail and I just built a new frag shipping box that I am dying to try! Keep us updated.

td7gal.
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 27 Dec 2008 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote td7gal.

Looking good!Remember to go slow!!Don't rush it,I'm sure you know this,but I had to say it!!When you are ready to add corals,check this site,and maybe we could trade some frags,with kyro's new shipping method!!
Back to Top View td7gal.'s Profile Search for other posts by td7gal. Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 27 Dec 2008 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

Kyro - AWESOME! (check PM)

The rock - was a sold mixture of Timora/kaelini im not sure which is which but this is by far some of the best live rock that i have personally come across. Regardless of how the tank is setup the rock formations will always be able to give you a great amount of spaces for frags.

Live Sand - The sand has been pretty good so far. With the amount of Rock and seeded substrate, the sand looks like its been in a tank for a good amount of time. I wasnt trying to make it super white, but instead trying to replicate the sand that i saw way back in the Philippines.

Even when i had my algea outbreak the sand was so easy to work with. My PH intake for the fuge doesnt pick up on any of the sand and I know this because the PH would be insanely noisy if this happened. But like i said i will keep you updated.

TD7Gal - Hello ! I grabbed a few frags from my buddy and ... lets keep our fingers crossed.

This was honestly a bit too early but the tank seemed ready for just these lil guys we wanted to see how it went. And even though this is totally against my usual i went ahead and gave em a shot. (I had my 24g NANO cycled for 2 months before even introducing a hermit crab, so you could imagine how anal i am about my livestock)

the polyps are ALL out, the purple cab ..looks the same and the galaxia is puffy and appears like its been in an established tank. POds are multiplying like ... pods. and the algea seems to be going away.

SO guys i had an idea and i wanted to know what you think about it.

I was thinking about doing tiny water changes every day. but when i mean tiny i mean '1' Pint tiny. Its just an idea.

lemme know..

!!

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 28 Dec 2008 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

I would do at least 1/2 gallon to make it worth it. I feel like less than that and there is no way it could make a difference. I have fantasized about building a small device that would just do a continuous water change for me. I think that you could do it with one of the peristaltic dosing pumps it it had two "channels". Just set one channel to suck out of a reservoir and the other to suck out of the display. The peristaltic pumps are extremely accurate so I think that if you had it set up this way it would work without even messing up an auto top off system. You would have to take care to use the same length of tubing as well as even a small variation may make the draws uneven. With a sump you have a little play but in a straight tank you have very little room for error. I could see that thing overflowing in a hurry!

Here's how you could test such a system if you are interested. Get two 5 gallon buckets. Put two gallons in each bucket. Drop one channel in each bucket and drop the waste into the other bucket. Let it run for a week. The pump should draw from one bucket and waste into the other with one channel and the other channel would do the same thing but into the other bucket. At the end of the week both buckets should still have exactly the same amount of water in them.

Other considerations would have to be safety high and low water switches. If the reservoir went dry you don't want to empty the tank into waste without replacing the water. Of course you don't want to overflow the tank either. Wiring this would be a nightmare but just maybe worth it. These pumps can be had as medical surplus on eBay pretty cheaply! Anyone smell a project?   

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 25 Jan 2009 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

Wassup MB gang! been a while but like i said I will keep every1 updated!

There was an unfortunate event and my beautiful leather got severely damaged and i had to move it to another tank. It was an amazing piece, and had been thriving since the day i put it in. But i made a mistake of mishandling it and I am now patiently waiting for it to get better!

But here we go folks the update:

THe pictures will pretty much do it for me and i hope that you all like !

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Oh my! This is looking incredible. Not that I am surprised, but I didn't think it would happen this fast.

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 12:32am | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

my mush fragged itself ...

j/k

got some new stuff

Thank you kyro for your comment!

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Ready for that torch frag yet?

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

hehe kyro i have your corner all reserved for that frag hehe!

(mid right -corner-) or dead center then ill just relocate my galaxia!

man i love my rainbow mushroom

its got purple red silver and green with 2 babies well on the way

send me a PM or you can just post up here on how you would like to set it up

im actually very excited to see how this box of yours works.

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 06 Feb 2009 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Pretty simple. PM me your address and I will send it on an Monday or Tuesday. This insures that it won't be sitting in the PO over the weekend. It goes priority. Then you can fill it with gold doubloons and send it back. It is a flat rate box as you know so you can put many doubloons in it and not have to worry about paying extra for return shipping. I have your best interest at heart.

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 11:52pm | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

just an update folks!

oh my have things grown!!

hope you all can enjoy this!

comments? questions ask away!

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

damn imma clean the tank in a bit and take pics i didnt realize the damn build up in the front

reefgirl888
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote reefgirl888

Wow that looks amazing!  How did you get the red mushrooms to grow up like that?
Back to Top View reefgirl888's Profile Search for other posts by reefgirl888 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

the mushrooms where actually on a long rock. i ust placed it to stand vertically and it now looks like a tower of mushrooms

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

"Tower of mushrooms"...

Sounds psychedelic!

filthyrich
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang

Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote filthyrich

full shot pics

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

That's no minibow!

Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version