Active Topics  Display List of Forum Members  Search The Forum

RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Members Tanks
  7 Gallon Forums : Members Tanks
Subject Topic: I’m Back (For the Third Time)

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

After bailing out of the hobby for a lot of reasons I'm happy to say the dust has settled and the mini bow is coming back to life. I was so happy to see that this blog still exists

Back to Top View eric65's Profile Search for other posts by eric65 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Yay, maybe we can revive it. It has been VERY quiet around here for a long time. Props to Gil for keeping the doors open! Looking forward to seeing your tank progress...again. Also want to see the lights. You mentioned LED right?

The Ultimate Minibow Update Experiment!
Back to Top View kyroguy's Profile Search for other posts by kyroguy Visit kyroguy's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

So much has changed in 3 years. My LED's just came in the mail today. I bought the 12k strip of these:

http://www.current-usa.com/truelumenledstrips.html

I can't believe I forgot to buy the actinic strip as well. I plan on keeping mostly softies. Do you know if this will be enough for zoos and 'shrooms?

Back to Top View eric65's Profile Search for other posts by eric65 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Hard telling. I can't tell what the wattage equivalent is. Either way you are going to want to supplement the actinic strip if for nothing else, color. Since the softies require mush less light I would think you should be ok but trust you eyes. If it looks dim add more strips.   

These strips are surprisingly affordable. I don't want to sound skeptical but I will be curious to see how well they work.   

Back to Top View kyroguy's Profile Search for other posts by kyroguy Visit kyroguy's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

kyroguy wrote:

These strips are surprisingly affordable. I don't want to sound skeptical but I will be curious to see how well they work.   

I know. I'm not sure if the low price is making me question their effectiveness. I think I may buy 1 more 12k strip but at that point $50x3 I'm roughly at the price of the old 70w MH Sunpod.

I ordered the nano box of rocks from Marco Rocks. That should be arriving sometime next week. Like I mentioned in the email, I'm going to go with the Vortech MP10 for circulation andthe CPR Aquafuge on back which will house the Tunze 9002 skimmer.

I've been searching the 'net and I don't think you can even buy 7 gallon mini bows anymore. Which makes this build even more dear to me.

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote eric65

This thread is useless without pictures. Here ya go:

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u191/EricLentz/7%20gallon%20mini%20bow%20again/

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

That fuge is huge! (see what I did there?)

Only one way to tell on the lighting, set it up and see. I am feeling you on the MH though. It's a tough call. You know I am a MH fan but there are lots of other considerations to make. One is the cost of replacement bulbs. You may (or may not) spend more upfront to do the LED thing, but if it works you will save in the long run. No more replacing $80 bulbs every 6-12 months. That may end up working out for you. I am also curious about the heat put off by the LED's. People who say LED's offer cool (temperature wise) lighting have never used high power LED's. They are anything but cool. I don't know the power of the ones in question here but a 3 watt LED can easily get too hot to touch and absolutely requires a heat sink if it is to be run anywhere max power. I don't think they will heat the water like a MH but just saying they won't be ice cold.

In the mean time we all just sit back and wait to learn from your experience/mistakes.

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

kyroguy wrote:
In the mean time we all just sit back and wait to learn from your experience/mistakes.

Thanks kyro  

The main thing I'm trying to avoid this time around is excessive heating from the lights. That hood makes my little tropical paradise like a crockpot. I had 2 28w PC's last time, but I was always battling heat. Then I added a fan to cool things down which led to  excessive evaporation.  LED's may be the answer to all my problems.

As much as I love the look of MH, I doubt I will ever go back. Just too many issues to deal with. You're right about the stronger LED's releasing some heat. From what I've researched thus far, the better lights have heat sinks and are adjustable. If this build goes as planned I may reward myself with such a light by Christmas.

What I'm most excited about is the Vortech MP10. Just one powerhead taking care of all my circulation needs and with different modes. That may be the best $200 I'll ever spend on a nano.

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote eric65

My Marco Rocks shipment is either one or two Fedex stops away  It is in Cranford today, which leads my wife to thinking it will be here this afternoon. From my experience packages go from Cranford then to Lakewood then out for delivery. My money is on tomorrow.

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

I was wrong, she was right. UPS left 50lbs of Marco Rock on our doorstep this afternoon. Of course photos will soon follow.

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

It's hard getting a decent shot with this lighting.

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

That rock looks amazing. You are planning on seeding it with some live rock, right? Some live sand wouldn't hurt either. It will take time for it to liven itself up but the structure is totally awesome. Be prepared for algae blooms as it cycles. Bare dead rock is fertile ground for algae.

I solved the MH heat problem by making a different fixture which you may remember.

Custom MH fixture

I will be curious to see how that PH pushes the water around too! Keep us (me) updated!

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

The shot you've been waiting for. The cloudy, milky white fts

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

You did put the water in before the sand, right? Hope so.

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

I overpaid for a bag of live sand since my wife wanted to use it in her tank as well. Most of that cloudiness is from the Marco rock which I forgot to rinse off in my haste to aquascape. I'm running an old  Aquaclear (500?) with floss to clear up the water. 2 hours later I can see my reef again.

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote eric65

As soon as I get to Pet Smart to buy some a cleaner magnet I'll post updated photos.

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Looking forward to it.

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

I must have been in a rush when I typed that last update. Nice sentence structure.

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Usually the grammar police don't enforce on their own posts... unno:

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

I'll be hitting Pet Smart Wednesday. Our bathroom has been under renovations since last Monday so I haven't been able to shower as often as I would like. With yesterday's mild weather (mid 40's) I went for a bike ride hoping to come home to a hot shower. No such luck. Then I waited all day today and he never showed. I may go to the gym to get a shower then run some errands.

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

Finally made it to Pet Smart to get my algae magnet. I get the glass nice and clean and decide to go forward and add water to the CPR refugium. I also decided to add the remaining Marco Rocks rubble to the fuge. Once again, I did not think to risne it first so it is a mildly foggy day in the tank. Everything should be clear by tomorrow morning.

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

Ta da!!

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Plenty of room for coral growth. It should look really nice once you add some livestock! The lights are looking good too.

Whats with all the bubbles between the sand and the glass? You did add some/most of the water before the sand, right?

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 5:16am | IP Logged Quote eric65

I have to admit it was sand first then water.

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

Finally decided to stop procrastinating and ordered the Vortech MP10. Did I need it? No. Did I want it? Hell yeah!! I ordered it from Premium Aquatics so it should be in my tank by Friday

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

I have decided to upgrade my lighting. When my brother-in-law gets back from Florida I'm going to order this kit so he can weld it for me.

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-38/06-Premium-LED-Do-dsh-It-dsh-Yourself/Detail

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Looks like an interesting kit. I will be curious to see how it works out. As far as the sand then water, better mix it up to make sure all the air bubbles are out. They can turn toxic. Better to stir up a mess now than have a mess later.

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote eric65

The Vortech MP10 was on my doorstep Friday evening
After playing with it over the weekend I have settled on reefcrest mode if for no other reason that seems to be the most popular mode. I can't see any movement aside from the surface. Once I get some life in there I may change my mind. It was very easy to set up and hardly makes any noise. Once the Tunze skimmer is up and running I won't hear it at all.

kyroguy
Minibow Gang
Minibow Gang
Famous

Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote kyroguy

Damsels or something asap, please!

eric65
Nano Reefer
Nano Reefer

Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote eric65

I'm open to suggestions kyro. As much as I don't want a damsel in such a small space, my lfs guru says the Azure damsel is the mellowest of the damsels. I don't want a clown but I want a fish that is going swim in the open. The other inhabitants will be a goby/pistol combo because I just love their relationship

Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version